June 23, 2010

It's here! And it fits. Phew.

Freezer BeforeHere's how my freezer looked last night, after I did a hasty review and rearrangement of the contents ("Coffee? What's this doing in here? Rossana would be horrified! Oh, man, did you know we had all these burgers? Good thing we have all these burger buns, too! And wow, we need to eat this shrimp at some point..."). This was necessary because I got an email advising that my Freezer Pack was available for pickup. I confess to being concerned about the amount of available space, because that there doesn't look like much, and the door was already pretty full. Still, deep breath.

30 lbs of beefSo today after work, I went to pick it up. And it's a doddle! The farmer asked me if I needed any help getting this to my car, but heck, I swing heavier weights than this around at the gym. (Well, OK, I don't swing the 40 lb kettlebell. But I do lift it!) And looking at this, I was pretty sure it would fit in the available freezer space.

Roasts and SteaksGot it home, and broke into the package, and here's what I got:
  • 2 x Top Round Roast
  • 1 x Bottom Round Roast
  • 1 x Chuck Steak Roast
  • 1 x Sirloin Tip Steak Roast
  • 2 x T-bone Steaks
  • 2 x Rib Steaks
  • 1 x Sirloin Steak
  • 2 x Stewing Beef (approx 1 lb)
  • 9 x Ground Beef (approx 1 lb)
Stewing beef and ground beefI weighed it all and wrote the weights on, because that's the only thing the butcher didn't think to do (and wrote it in both pounds and kilos, because I'm Canadian and that's how we roll), and took photos, and then stuffed it all into the freezer. And it all fit, as you see.

Freezer AfterYay! We have a fair amount of beef (and other things) that needs to be eaten before we get into these butcher-paper packages. I'm told - by someone whose brother used to raise beef cows - that organic beef has a stronger taste than commercially-produced beef. I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment